Mercury-containing dental fillings placed into people’s mouths constitute the largest use of the elemental form of this toxic substance, according to IAOMT Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors Jack Kall, DMD. “Mercury has been banned from a gamut of other consumer products, and a growing number of countries are ending the use of dental mercury. The dangers of using mercury, a known neurotoxin, in amalgam fillings, including the serious health risks it poses to patients and dental professionals, as well as the devastating impact of harmful releases of dental mercury into the environment. Yet still being routinely used in the USA, and most American dental patients aren’t even aware that their silver-colored fillings contain this mercury.”
“Silver fillings known as amalgam fillings contain mercury which is constantly released in the mouth. The constant release of mercury in the mouth in a long term can be deposited in the main organs of the body such as liver, heart, kidney, brain causing a series of illnesses including dementia, kidney failure, poisoning, etc. Furthermore, amalgam fillings are also unaesthetic compared to white fillings. More and more people today are having silver amalgam fillings replaced by white porcelain or resin fillings due to toxicity and esthetics”, says Dr. Bruno Sharp, a prosthodontist specialist with a practice in Miami, Florida. Dr. Bruno Sharp is an active member of IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology), the top association in the country and internationally that conducts research on the mercury for more than 50 years.
Dental amalgam fillings account for the largest share elemental mercury use in the USA, according to the EPA.
According to the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology (IAOMT), this amounts to millions of mercury-containing fillings being placed into dental patients’ teeth. The IAOMT further warns that previously published research has already documented that more than 67 million Americans aged two years and older exceed the intake of mercury vapor considered “safe” by the EPA due to the presence of their dental mercury amalgam fillings.
The IAOMT has examined scientific literature related to dental mercury since the non-profit organization was founded in 1984. This research has led the group to educate others about the dangers of using mercury, a known neurotoxin, in amalgam fillings, including the serious health risks it poses to patients and dental professionals, as well as the devastating impact of harmful releases of dental mercury into the environment.
Additionally, the IAOMT has developed a Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART) based on the most up-to-date scientific publications about mercury releases during amalgam filling removal. SMART is a series of special precautions dentists can apply to protect patients, themselves, other dental professionals, and the environment by immensely reducing the levels of mercury that can be released during the amalgam filling removal process. Due to the issue of aerosol particles, a number of the precautions included in SMART are aligned with the recommended coronavirus infection control measures for dentists.
Dr. Bruno Sharp and his team use the amalgam-free and safe protocol by the IAMOT to remove the silver fillings. To schedule a consultation please call (305)857-0990.
For more information on this topic visit the IAOMT website at www.iaomt.org.
Source: International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology (IAOMT)